Friday, December 1, 2017

Fasting Is Not Starvation

I started fasting Sunday night at 7 pm.  I only drank water and I tried sparkling mineral water for the first time (I could eventually get used to that taste...maybe) and at 5 pm broke my fast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and then ate a big salad with chicken salad and deviled eggs at 6:30.  At 8 pm I started my next fast.  When I woke up the next morning I had a terrible headache and nothing could take it away. I had it all day and it immobilized me. I know it was a sugar withdrawal headache and possible dehydration because I wasn't drinking as much water as I should have been.

When I got on the scales my second day I had dropped 2.5 lbs.  YAY! No more headache.

The fast, I noticed, was more of a mental thing for me. That is what was so hard.  I have been an emotional eater.  So, as I was busy, I noticed the pattern I had been following before in my daily activities.  Driving around I noticed my thoughts of wanting to stop at Walgreens and get a Reese's. Or leaving a store and thinking about Hardee's breakfast biscuit.  The hunger pains seemed to magnify with the sparkling mineral water but I ignored them.  I just want my body to eat the fat and for the cells of my body to get healthy. 

It has been 6 days now of doing the OMAD (one meal a day) and I am loving this.  It seems to go against everything that we are taught about eating 6 small meals during the day or counting calories or "don't skip breakfast, it is the most important meal of the day." Reading, listing to podcasts and watching YouTube videos of Dr. Jason Fung has changed all the notions that have been embedded into my brain about losing weight. He talks about how fasting is not starving your body, that fasting doesn't mean your body is eating muscle but that it is proven to be eating your stored fat and how by fasting it can change everything for the better.

I am on day 6 and when I woke up this morning to weigh myself, I have lost 6 lbs all together.

You can get his book here to learn more about it or watch these videos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! You are helping make this a better place for everyone. :)